Monday, July 02, 2007

It may be done, but it's not over ;-)

Ok- so today was the big day!!!! Woo hoo! My appointment was at 9 am this morning! It was scheduled to be 1-1.5 hours- anyone want to guess how long I was actually there????? Three. Yes, 3 hours. :) Why? You all know the answer... I can't do things the easy way.

The model
So I got in there and they had my brand new teeth sitting on the model and I have to say they looked pretty darn good. Not freakishly wide or anything! And I start to think this might actually happen. The porcelain abutment is awesome! Definitely the right way to go and worth waiting for.

The action
So we have to start by taking the temporary thing off. Jenny asks where he would like her to cut it and he says we may not have to. I agree and tell them that im pretty sure if they give it one good yank, it will come right off. Sure enough! That worked!

So the next thing to do is get the healing cap off the implant area. We had a bit of a problem finding the right screwdriver to do the job since the implants they use are different than this brand. But nevertheless, mission accomplished. :)

So the custom abutment goes in. Can I just say that 'torque' it not a term that you like to hear in reference to your teeth. No worries though- it didn't hurt- just felt the pressure. Much better than the last time 'torque' was used with that tooth- during the removal of the improperly placed implant. The good news is that by feeling the pressure, that means it's attached to something in there! :)

We then decide that we should go ahead and put the verneer on the canine and get that done and then we can work with the freaky tooth. YAY.

Canine on, here we come! So... the abutment is in, the canine verneer on... and we are ready to go. Sort of.

the Freaky tooth
So it looked really good on the model. And then we tried to put it in the space that was provided and it didn't work so swell. :) They made it right for the model, but there was too much material on one side and not enough on the other side. So we start the trimming process. Dr. Mazur takes a bit off of the side and then tries it to see if it fits. And repeats that process multiple times until the side that has too much doesn't anymore. But what do we do about the side that doesn't have enough?????

Shake 'n Bake
Turns out that they had purchased an oven to help cure porcelain- so Dr. Mazur takes it back, adds a little porcelain on and throws it in the oven. And we wait.... and wait.... And then it's ready! So he comes back, has to do a bit more trimming because he added more than he needed which is what he wanted to do! And then its ready to go. So after some nasty smelling stuff to cure it, the implant is on. And I am done. The tooth is done. Voila!

But it's not over... I still need to get a refund from Dr. Gomes for the abutment he charged me for from the previous procedures. :) And I have to go back to Mazur on Monday to make sure everything is doing well.. there's some seriously irritated tissue around the area, so we need to check it all out when thats not irritated and check my bite when I'm not numb.

So its finally drawing to a close. I am excited for apples and corn on the cob and go lean crunch and huge sandwiches and gum.. lots of gum!!!

So its done, but not quite over. The blog lives on, for now... a few more dwindling entries and we will come to a close! I'll take some pictures when my mouth is adjusted and let you all see what we have been working on since March of 2006. :)

until then.. keep smiln :)

No comments: