Thursday, September 14, 2006

Freaky Tooth Blog Entry #5


Ok- so I had joked about actually creating a blog for this tooth...and now it is a reality!! It just seemed a lot easier to have all the information in one location for others to catch up on all the happenings and adventures of one little tooth! So without further ado, I present the Freaky Tooth Blog! Send it to your friends and family if you wish- it's hours of entertainment!!!

Flipper Fact of the Day- did you know they actually make the flipper using a real denture tooth? :)

The Update: Ok- so the good news- remember Dr. Hart? The Endodontist? Well, he is the one who referred me to Dr. Gomes. The good news is that I got a refund check in the mail from him last week to refund me some for a procedure that he did that ended up doing nothing for me in this whole process! YAY!

So last week, I began to realize that I had a check-up appt. coming up with Dr. Gomes and I wondered what the status was with the wax-up and if Mazur and Gomes were on the same page as to what was going to happen. So I called Mazur's office, and thus began the phone tag to the lab to find out what was going on. Also, I had wondered about getting the new flipper before my sister's wedding. So after a bit more phone tag, we got a time for me to come in and see Dr. Mazur. So I went to see him yesterday. I had to go for yet another set of impressions! You know, Halloween is approaching- so perhaps they needed more molds to make those funny teeth with for halloween costumes! But they said it was for a set of impressions so we can get my new flipper! YAY! And it should be here in a week! Woo hoo! I'll be looking spiffy for my vacation to New Hampshire next week! Now remember that wax-up they were doing the last time? So turns out it is about done... museum quality I am sure! I did find out they are not the same lab geniuses that made the flipper last time- this is a totally different lab somewhere on the west coast with a 3 hour time difference- so maybe they are geniuses! (the local lab is making the new flipper- keep your fingers crossed it turns out ok! ) So Mazur tells me he has tried calling Dr. Gomes to tell him that he's having this waxup done and that we should redo the implant, etc. However, Gomes has not called him back yet. Hmmm. That's a bit problematic because I have an appointment with him the very next day! So Mazur says that he will try calling Gomes again. Mazur suggests that we get a stent made with the waxup that will show him exactly where to put the implant when we redo it, but that it's Gomes's call on getting that make and cost to him too. So Mazur says I should just go in and say "we are getting the stent, right? " to Gomes and go from there. :) All I know is that we want it to look the best it can and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get that done! So... I leave Mazur's office, with an appointment to get my flipper next Wednesday and knowing I have an appointment with Gomes today.

So... I go see Dr. Gomes today. He asks me what's the latest with Dr. Mazur. So I say, have you talked to him lately? He says a couple weeks ago. I say, but not this week? No, not yet. So he says he's going to call him, and then, one of the girls from the front desk comes in and says that Dr. Mazur is on the phone for him. :) It reminded me of that scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off where the principal is trying to get in touch with Sloan's dad and then the friend calls in pretending to be the dad- it was just as if it was cued that way! So... I waited in the chair for about 10 minutes while they talked. Then Dr. Gomes comes back. He says that Mazur thinks we should redo the implant and he agrees! Woo hoo? Wants to do what's best for me, etc. I agree! He thinks Mazur thought he would be mad about it but he's not. (AND it's all for free!!!!!) Then he says, well, I'm glad your sitting down though. My only thought was 'um.. ok." And he says, because I need to tell you that I am leaving in a couple months! OH!!!! And he hasn't told any of his referring dentists yet, so Mazur doesn't know. Lovely. I am pretty sure this kind of stuff could only happen to me. But anyway... He's going to work in Indy since that is where he lives. But, he's committed to getting my case done. So he thinks he can even come up a time or 2 to finish things up if we need to. I told him I'd hunt him down if he didn't! ;-) So... I am scheduled to have the implant removed and more bone graft put in on Sept 25th. He wanted to do it this coming Wednesday, but I said I didn't really want to leave for vacation that next day not knowing what kind of state I was going to be in. So he was ok with that! So... now basically we do that, I wait 6 weeks for bone to graft, then we drill it up again and put the implant back in and hope for the best!

So do you see now why I am creating the blog? I think this tooth will have so many more adventures before this is all over! Fun times for sure!!! I'll keep you posted!!!

No comments: