Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Freaky Tooth Blog Entry #4

Since entry #3, I have been back to visit Dr. Gomes. He concurred that the implant isn’t quite where it needs to be! BUT- good news.. they make something called an "angle abutment". Instead of hanging straight down, it hangs at an angle. Wow.. sounds like a great idea! Let's see what Mazur says.
So... Mazur calls... he doesn't like the angle abutment... it's all about physics and geometry, right. The force when biting on something needs to be centered over the tooth, not at an angle- especially when we had to grow bone for the implant to hook into. Sooo... Mazur says come on in.. I have an idea...
So I went back to Dr. Mazur today. He's the regular dentist. I am happy to report that this appointment was 3.25 hours less than my previous one with him! Woo hoo!
Today I went for impressions for what is called a 'wax up.' What that means is that with all the different things I have had done to me, I could start an awesome museum of dental oddities! Mind you, I have had plenty of impressions along the way during this whole procedure... not sure what really happens to the latex molds they make, but I'm pretty sure you're going to start seeing people in remote countries with false teeth that match my smile. Or maybe, they will start selling them as jello jiggler molds. How cool would that be? :) This is no less than the 5th set of impressions I have had during this whole ordeal. Where did the others go?????? Ok- so nevermind any of that- back to the wax-up.
So here is what is supposed to happen. The geniuses at the lab will create a wax model of my mouth. (yes, I do believe these to be the same geniuses that couldn’t even get my flipper to the right place the first time though). Then they will create a model of what Dr. Mazur thinks needs to be done. Dr. Mazur thinks we should put a veneer on the freaky tooth and the canine next to it and help even out the gap so the tooth isn’t so wide looking. We will take that model to Dr. Gomes and say this is what we are doing...look how pretty it can be- forgot that angle abutment! He will then say, how could I not have seen this option before and boy it sure does look good and I will redo the implant! And then when we are all one happy family and have the plan figured out, I will get a new flipper that looks better too! And the best part is, it's free! FREE FLIPPER!!!! I don't think dentistry gets much better than that! How many of you have ever gotten a free flipper? (it’s a $120 value! ) And then... I'll have one more thing to display in my museum.

No comments: