So I had my stitches out 10 days ago. It went well...Dr. Gomes said it looked great I was doing a good job keeping it clean. YAY for me! And yay for no stitches for my sister's wedding! I am sure she was glad to not have white strings hanging out of my mouth in her pictures! It was pretty cool though-Since there is no wound to heal over that site, I could see the bone in the hole. Pretty cool.
But after the stitches came out, so did the bone grafting. Well... not all of it. But starting that night, I would occasionally have a granule or 2 of bone pop up in my mouth somewhere. And this went on for quite a few days. A couple granules a day. For those of you wondering what a granule of bone grafting looks like... I have been trying to decide how to describe it...I think it would best be equated to the size of decorating sugar. So not regular sugar crystals or salt or sand- a bit bigger than all those... but sometimes you have that decorating sugar that is a bit bigger- I'd say it's pretty equivalent in size. So anyway... as the granules of bone started to appear, so did a divet in my gums where the grafting had been supporting the structure. And since I was traveling most of last week, I just continued to tell myself it was no big deal. Couldn't really do anything about it from Columbus, OH anyway. Well... since this kept happening over the weekend, and I could no longer see bone in the hole, just a black hole, and doing a bit of math in my head, I realized that hole isn't so big... and a couple granules a day for a week or so amounts to a quite a bit of bone in that tiny hole, I figured I should probably call Gomes for a normalcy reading.
MAYBE I'LL GO AS A VAMPIRE FOR HALLOWEEN
So I called Dr. Gomes this morning and asked him about the situation. He said some of it is normal, but that I was right and I should probably come in and have him take a look. So the good news is that I am not a hypochondriac. :) Sure enough.. quite a bit of bone grafting had come out. However, the better news is that while it is a bit more than what he would have liked to see, he didn't think we needed to redo it. Instead, he scraped and scratched around in the hole to create a blood clot. It's a good thing I don't mind blood- nor the taste of it. There was plenty of it to clot. YUM. So anyway, the blood clot will apparently heal over the remaining bone so it will stay in there. But I am not supposed to eat, drink, or talk much for a few hours and then I can't brush the area for a couple days either. (You know, as a teacher, I could go from 7 am to 7 pm without drinking a single glass of water and not think anything of it- right now, I am so thirsty I would drink the rainwater in the puddle outside my office window if I could. Guess you don't know what you got til it's gone!!!! ;-) ) Another good thing is that the new flipper covers the hole pretty well though ...so that should help with the clotting. After that, Dr. Gomes was all excited to give me his new business card and map to the new location! And sent me off with the promise to call me the first part of November to get some stuff set up. YAY! I can hardly wait. I go to Mazur next week to my regular 6 month check up- I am sure he will have a few thoughts to share on this whole process...so stay tuned.. I'll keep you posted!!!
Monday, October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment